Gracegirl

Friday, October 13, 2006

Apprehension turned to Appreciation

College has been terrific. I love college. I hated my Junior and Senior years of high school, but I am absolutely loving Freshman year! I've already made quite a few friends, both in class and out of class, and hung out with a few old friends as well.

A lot of people told me things like, "Be prepared--people are so weird there! Don't go into the Multi-Purpose Room, and just mind your business and go home. Don't get discouraged by all the awful stuff!"

It cracks me up, because I have no idea what they're talking about! I've found people to be so open, friendly and helpful. And today I realized that the whole thing about the Multi-Purpose Room is ridiculous. At first, I thought that I should avoid it--I wouldn't want to be around those kinds of people, would I? But something happened today to make me realize that if I want to be used of God, sometimes I need to be around the tax-collectors and sinners. I'm not saying that I'll spend all my time there, or purposefully hang out with "the wrong crowd." But seriously, I've realized that it's easy to get in the Christian bubble of no-witnessing-allowed-for-fear-of-becoming-like-them. I absolutely am in favor of remaining innocent and pure, but I'm realizing that that's a totally different thing than isolating yourself from everyone who needs the gospel.

Another thing--I'm not getting discouraged. I'm getting encouraged! I mean, sure, my Speech prof said something lousy the other day, and I hear a ton of language, but really I'm used to that kind of stuff from the people I used to work with. And so far, the good has out weighed the bad. I am amazed by the wonderful believers I've met so far. They invited me to their worship time, and I realized just how sweet it can be to praise God with believers who may have a bit of a different style than you're used to. I'm seeing more of what SKH said about having affections and doctrine. Oddly enough, it is easy to get so filled with the truths of the Bible that you forget to be passionate about the God of those truths. Does it matter whether or not you lift your hands in worship? No. Does it matter whether or not you praise God with both your heart and head engaged? Yes.

I am just amazed at how you can go into something, somewhat apprehensive, and leave completely relieved and even refreshed. God is so much greater than all our fears. I'm so thankful for all the people who have been praying for me. I can tell that God's hand has been guiding my way.

2 Comments:

  • At 10/16/2006 10:55 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    That is something I've been learning, too, KT. Looking at other churches, seeing how they "do" church, and trying to really evaluate if it is unbiblical or just different than the way I "do" church.

     
  • At 10/19/2006 10:13 PM, Blogger Kate Alesso said…

    Yes, it has been pretty amazing to realize that, though I hadn't thought I was this way, I had become fairly myopic in my perspective on the Church. So good how God shows us when we're wrong. Thanks for your commentatin'!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home