Gracegirl

Monday, September 04, 2006

A So-So Spouse, Who Can Find? Well, Uh, Anyone...

My mom just recently talked with a guy who was talking about how he's hoping to find a wife soon, and she asked him what his criteria were for finding a wife. "A sense of humor" was top on his list. After he expounded upon his short list of "qualities," Mom replied, "None of those had anything to do with being a Christian. Why was that not a priority?" He said, "Because with me, there's a 99% chance that she'd have to be a Christian anyway." Mom asked, "Well, what about the other 1% chance?" He made it plain that he thought he might find a nice girl who wasn't a believer.

I thought that was pretty interesting. How specific would you be in the qualities a future spouse would have to possess? It's an important thing to consider. While nobody is going to be perfect, there should be some non-negotiables. There are plenty of unsaved people who have a sense of humor. And there are lots of immature, selfish believers. I'm trying to become less that way! :) But seriously, it is way too easy to become desperate. God brings the right people into our lives without us settling for somebody who is ungodly.

I'm kind of amazed at how many times in public, guys will flirt with me or my friends, trying to get a response. The only reason they would do that is because it must work! Not with me or my group, but with the kind of girls that they usually encounter. It is seriously sickening how many times a guy will try to get eye contact. Why in the stink would any girl fall for that? I think a big part of that reasoning is that they feel very incomplete. All the more reason for us to find our sufficiency in Christ!

1 Comments:

  • At 9/08/2006 9:02 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    I chose my spouse 10 years ago, with the only criteria being that he be a Christian . . . and that I liked his company; so, I can't add anything about spouse-choosing, but I do know a thing or two about choosing friends. Of course, wer'e not limited to just one friend, and we don't have to live with him or her, so we can have non-Christian friends, but our bosom buddy, best friend, our closest confidante, must be a Christian. "What has light to do with darkness?"

    My truest colors came out when I was walking through the mall with my best friend and a drunk man got annoyed with me for having no positive reaction to his flirting. He said, "Well don't get mad." I yelled angrily, "WELL DON'T FLIRT WITH ME!!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home