Gracegirl

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

You, Me, and Nanny McPhee

Today we saw Nanny McPhee. I know, I'm really going to sound like a movie hater, but I had some thoughts about this movie.

What I didn't like:
Even while I was watching it, the recurring thought in my head was, "This movie totally promotes the message that the end justifies the means." The promoting of magic as a wonderful and changing power, to the minds of children watching, is not a favorable aspect of this movie. The special effects at the end were dreadful. They should've left them with cake on their faces, and no virtual wedding veil to be found. Nanny McPhee reminded me of Mary Poppins crossed with Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. You need to either have the nanny use magic to make them behave, or teach them lessons and have them behave out of their desire. It can't be a mix. It just didn't work for me.

What I did like:
It was a cute movie. I really loved the kids and how totally real they were. I felt like I knew them. Emma Thompson and Colin Firth are always amazing. I enjoyed the bit of Angela Lansbury, too. Lots of whimsy, lots of fun along the way. Showed sinful little hearts for what they were, at least at the beginning. By the end, though, they seemed so sanctified that I halfway expected a heaven scene. :)

So there's my critic review. Not very professional, I know. I just wanted to write one, really.

2 Comments:

  • At 8/02/2006 3:01 PM, Blogger Tony Kevin said…

    :)... Yeah I thought it was a cross between Mary Poppins and A Series of Unfortunate events.

    But I agree with you overall about the movie. I think magic in movies can be fun to an extent (the imagination is a wonderful place sometimes). Lord of the Rings is a good example. It was written by a Christian man, yet there was sorcery throughout the whole of the books/movies.

    But I too liked the actors. I also loved the colors in the film. Very eye pleasing :)

     
  • At 8/02/2006 3:02 PM, Blogger Tony Kevin said…

    P.S... I absolutely love both Mary Poppins and s.o.unfortunate.events...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home