Gracegirl

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Growing Up Churched

Last night at small group, Mrs. Bone talked with us about how easy it is to grow up in the church, get good teaching, even read the Bible, and not really apply or think about all that you "know." It was so cool that she brought it up, because a couple of days before, Mom and I were reading in Isaiah and something stuck out at me. I'd meant to blog about it earlier, but now I definitely feel like it!

In Isaiah 29:13-14, Isaiah writes:

"Then the Lord said, 'Because this people draw near with their words and honor Me with their lip service, but they remove their hearts far from Me, and their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote, (v.14) therefore behold, I will once again deal marvelously with this people, wondrously marvelous; and the wisdom of their wise men will perish, and the discernment of their discerning men will be concealed."

It led me to think of the dangers of worshipping God, praying, etc. in outward obedience with no heart intention/inclination toward Him. The abundant familiarity with the things of God can be either a tremendous blessing or a tremendous hazard, depending on how it is put to use.

Verse 14, along with verses 11-12, reminded me of a blog Pastor Sean wrote about the study of God's Word. We take for granted, I think (at least, I know that I do), the opportunity to study the very Word of God. It has not always been so easy or possible to pay attention and search the Word as it is now, nor can we be sure that it will always be! This challenged me again in my thinking--how shall I then live? Will I waste my time and opportunity to learn & love more about God? Or will I use each day to make much of Him, growing and learning how to love Him more?

2 Comments:

  • At 6/30/2006 4:12 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    I keep my collection of cards in decorative boxes, and also some in gift bags.
    You could get a nice wicker basket for them, or a cool bag. (I like the transluscent lime green ones at Target.)

     
  • At 6/30/2006 4:16 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    Great post. This very thing has been on my mind and heart, not wanting to get to Heaven "by the skin of my teeth", or be just Christian enough. I want to excel. I want to live ON PURPOSE, doing meaningful things like praying, serving and meditating, and not just idling away my time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home