Gracegirl

Friday, May 19, 2006

Lullabies for Dummies

Preface: I wrote & tried to publish this last night, but apparently Blogger was having a temper tantrum. So I think it's fair to say that this continues my blogging streak. Hey, it wasn't my fault! :)

I am listening currently, oddly enough, to a lullaby cd. I actually really enjoy this cd and would highly recommend it: " The McCaughey Septuplets: Sweet Dreams." I've gotten a worried baby to sleep while babysitting via this cd, I've been calmed by it, and I've heard others say how good it is. All that to say, I truly think it's one of the best compilation cds I've ever heard. Very strange, I know. Just try it sometime. The library must have it. And I don't often recommend buying whole cds, but hey, if you're in the market, well... this one is worth it.

But anyway, that's not exactly why I posted. Listening to the cd, I realized just how little grown-ups sing and speak of the peace that God brings. Of course, there are two wonderful examples of ladies encouraging me in just such a way in the comments of my previous post. So maybe it's just that I sing and speak of it little. When a baby is worried, assuring them is the first thing that comes to mind. But really, it's the best balm we can offer anyone, no matter the age. Whether God's control in salvation, in protection, in providence, or anything else, He is wholly dependable--totally faithful in all circumstances. It just shows how foolish I am, to forget how necessary and valuable a good "lullaby" can be--maybe not a real lullaby, but a soothing word, comforting verse, or even a hug.

By far, my favorite song on the cd sums up all of this: "Tis So Sweet." (Sidenote: it's sung by both the parents of the Septuplets--they really do an outstanding job. And it carries a lot of weight with all they've been through!) I thought I'd just share this rendition's great lyrics with you:

"’Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at His Word;
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know, “Thus saith the Lord!”

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!

I’m so glad I learned to trust Him,
Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that He is with me,
Will be with me to the end.

Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er;
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
Oh, for grace to trust Him more!"


Two verses not included on this track:

"Oh, how sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood;
And in simple faith to plunge me
’Neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, ’tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease;
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace."

How true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home