Gracegirl

Monday, May 01, 2006

Pray and Live

Mom & I went to Womens Retreat this past weekend. What can I say? Wow. That was great. I may post more about it later, although even before retreat I had eleventy-seven other things I desperately wanted to blog here. But this piece was something I had to post.

It reminds me of a book I am reading, a biography on Adoniram Judson. It reminds me so very much of this incredible man of faith. Adoniram Judson was the first foreign missionary America ever sent out. He and his wife Ann sailed off to faraway Burma and tirelessly worked to spread the gospel amid constant frustration. It seems that he exhibited faith in every turn of events. In reading about his life, I am overwhelmed with the notion that he experienced pain, harrow, tragedy, and loss every step of the way. I think more than anyone else I've ever known or heard of, he found seemingly unbearable trials and hardship along his path. But his faithfulness and dogged constancy to sharing the gospel continually show up. I cannot even begin to list all the things that he and his wife had to endure, and I'm not even finished reading his biography! You will just have to read it. I'm serious. You have to. I'm actually really amazed that he isn't more famous. Ah, well, anyway, here is the piece that I originally wanted to share. But really, look up a bio on him. His testimony is fantastic. Plus, it has been some of the most exciting reading I've had in very long time.

You, Me and The Lord's Prayer
Are we living out the Lord's Prayer in our lives every day?

I cannot say OUR if my religion has no room for others and their needs.

I cannot say FATHER if I do not demonstrate the relationship in my daily living.

I cannot say WHO ART IN HEAVEN if all my interests and pursuits are earthly things.

I cannots say HALLOWED BE THY NAME if, I who am called by His name, am not holy.

I cannot say THY KINGDOM COME if I am unwilling to give up my own sovereignty and accept the righteous reign of God.

I cannot say THY WILL BE DONE if I am unwilling or resentful of having it in my life.

I cannot say ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN unless I am truly ready to give myself to His service here and now.

I cannot say GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD without expending honest effort for it, or by ignoring the genuine needs of my fellow men.

I cannot say FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US if I continue to harbor a grudge against anyone.

I cannot say LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION if I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.

I cannot say DELIVER US FROM EVIL if I am not prepared to fight in the Spiritual realm with the weapon of prayer.

I cannot say THINE IS THE KINGDOM if I do not give the King the disciplined obedience of a loyal subject.

I cannot say THINE IS THE GLORY if I am seeking my own glory first.

I cannot say FOREVER AND EVER if I am too anxious about each day's affairs.

I cannot say AMEN unless I honestly say, "Cost what it may, this is my prayer."

(Author unknown)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home