Gracegirl

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Changes

Just before my last birthday, I was very aware of the changes taking place in me. I realized that I was growing up, more than I'd ever realized before. I was amazed at all the significant decisions I had to make. It was such a strange feeling, and it lasted quite a while. I wrote something then that I thought I'd share here.

I feel like I'm going to wake up and be five again, trying to decide which of my simple little pink dresses suits my fancy today. As I just emailed someone, I feel like it was yesterday that I was hugging my Dad's leg, and wondering with all my heart what it was like to be a grown up.

But now I wake up each morning and have to decide what will look okay with what, what is acceptable to wear. Now as I sit next to Dad in church, I simply have to look over to see him. I no longer look up, all the time wondering what the sermon actually means.

It's so strange getting older. I am happy. I really am. But I keep looking around and seeing not only my world change, but my very life changing. I no longer go on pajama rides to the post office, or sit in the grocery cart. I'm now sending things through the post office, and putting things in the grocery cart.

3 Comments:

  • At 3/18/2006 8:35 PM, Blogger NeverAlone said…

    From a mom's perspective it's strange too. Having a daughter thinking of going to college and making preparations in that regard; shopping for her own clothes and figuring out her own outfits; having had her last home birthday; being of the age at which many girls actually marry--when it seems so recent that you were doing little-girl things instead: starting detective clubs and spying on neighbors; reading Little House and Nancy Drew books and the missionary biographies that I now read to your little brother; having uncomplicated dresses that pulled over your head and arms and were complete in themselves. It sure doesn't take long to make the metamorphosis! Seems like an end! But it's only a beginning of, and preparation for, a great adventure.

     
  • At 3/18/2006 10:35 PM, Blogger Tony Kevin said…

    Wow. What a great post. Yeah, sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm not a kid anymore. That I need to grow up. That I need to take initiative. That I won't be a teenager in a few months.

    Your post was really encouraging

     
  • At 4/04/2006 3:48 PM, Blogger Kate Alesso said…

    Mama--

    I love you so much. I'm so thankful for all those things you do (and used to do!). We've been on quite the journey together.

    I'm sure God's perspective on our "growing up" is so much more deep and different than ours. I can't even fathom what His perspective is on that.

    TKlog--

    It's good to hear that others feel the same way. It's hard to grow up! :)

    God's Girl--

    Thank you so much! It's encouraging to see how God is changing you into the young woman He desires you to be!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home