Gracegirl

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Two Lives

I'm sorry I'm such an unfaithful blogger! I seriously love blogging, I just don't always have time to type out all the things I want to share. So please forgive me. I thank you for your faithfulness in caring to read!

I want to share something interesting that Mom & I were discussing last night. We were trying to figure out how old my cousins are. The numbers keep changing each year--wonder how that happens! :) As a friend recently told me, "I'm glad it's you getting older, and not me!"

Anyway, we got to my oldest cousin, a doctor in his residency at Northwestern in Chicago, and I realized that at furthest, he is 2 years younger than my youth pastor! I could not believe it, and kept re-calculating. No, it was true. It wasn't so much that I couldn't believe he is that old, but rather that he is so much different from my youth pastor. My cousin is the type of person you rarely think about, because he is such a life-waster. You say, "Wait, I thought he was a doctor!" Yes, he is a doctor.A doctor that I disagree with on many points. I don't see how a doctor can vow "I will maintain the utmost respect for human life," and take every step he can toward population control. His value system is completely opposed to God, and I have been sad to see the direction his life has taken. But then I thought about my youth pastor and the direction his life has taken--completely devoting it to God, and I couldn't believe how two men could be so different. I'm so astounded by the power God has in the life of a believer. One man has taught me nothing but the folly of a life decidedly at enmity with God, and the other has taught me more things than I can articulate here, most valuable of which is the joy of a life completely devoted to God. One has wasted his life, and the other has made his life and teaching incredibly useful, yet both would consider the other's life a waste. All I can do is pray that God would make a changing work in the life of my cousin, and pray that I will live a godward life.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home