Gracegirl

Thursday, July 13, 2006

So Many Thoughts, So Little Bloggage...

In the interest of not being quite so unfaithful, I thought I should post some of the things I've been thinking as of late. So here they are in random order, not necessarily cohesively put together, nonetheless...


-We recently heard a man preach who had such passion for the truth of God (as I know our pastors do, I just wasn't used to this man's style) that he often shut his eyes as he spoke, seemingly overcome with thoughts of God's infinite power. I was struck by my own apathy in the light of this man's zeal.

-Our amazing Pastor Williams has once again chosen fabulous songs for our Summer concert. Every choir night I walk away with my mind abuzz (is that a word?) and my mouth humming a tune. I hope to post some snippets of the lovely lyrics soon. However, I cannot post this without mentioning one of the songs we sang tonight. The song, "The Power of the Cross" has an amazing, powerful tune, but more powerful and thought provoking are the lyrics. I can hardly sing this song when I am reading and paying attention to the lyrics. These moving words about Christ's sacrifice on the cross become too much to handle! (Add in the solo by Mrs. Dabrowski and I'm lost!) Just a portion:

"Now the daylight flees, now the ground beneath quakes as its Maker bows His head. Curtain torn in two, dead are raised to life; 'Finished!,' the victory cry! This the power of the cross: Christ became sin for us. Took the blame, bore the wrath, we stand forgiven at the cross."

So true. His power is beyond my ability to fathom, and I would have been forever lost without it.

-A wonderful post by Marcella provoked me to think about my prayer life. I often pray for unbelieving friends and family, but until recently, did not realize how faithless my heart is as I pray for their salvation. Another thing that challenged me in my prayer life was when the Intern spoke (weeks ago) a bit about how although we often think of other believers, we don't often turn that into a prayer opportunity. He spoke of one occurrence where he was reminded of a friend by seeing a person who resembled them, and how even those things should prompt us to pray. So often throughout the day, just like that, I will think of people, and it hardly occurs to me that they could use prayer. Even a prayer of thanksgiving for what a wonderful friend they are, maybe a prayer request brought to mind, etc.


These are all things that have been stirring deep inside of me, and, Lord willing, I will be pursuing more in thoughts and deeds on a daily basis. I love that God is so faithful to bring things to light and change our hearts. What a mighty God we serve.

5 Comments:

  • At 7/14/2006 2:46 PM, Blogger Tony Kevin said…

    I can't wait until the concert. Even just that little snippet of the song was powerful!

    ...and I really like the work "abuzz"... may I use it? :)

     
  • At 7/17/2006 8:04 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    I keep a photographic prayer journal . . . a photo album. I just make sure my friends and family are in there, and as I flip through, I pray for them, and thank God for them.

     
  • At 7/17/2006 10:43 PM, Blogger Kate Alesso said…

    Thanks for the comments, guys!

    TK--I really hope to post lyrics soon. In fact, a while ago, I'd started a new blog where I could continually post song lyrics from choir. But unfortunately, I never started any posts. I hope to change that soon. I'll post about it when I do start it up and provide the link.

    I'm looking forward to the concert, too--except for the fact that it's supposed to be 90-degree weather! Megalights, megaheat, and no air conditioning. Can you say heatstroke?

    Oh, and yes... use "abuzz" as often as you'd like! :) At least as far as I'm concerned, though I'm not too sure that it's my word to give...

    Btw, found a place for your painting yet?

    JenM--What an awesome idea! As soon as I can get my camera to feel better I'm going to be taking pictures of everybody! Very cool. I ought to get a mini photo book for my purse. Wow--I'm really excited! Thank you!

     
  • At 7/18/2006 9:54 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    You know what was a fun excuse to take pictures of my friends without awkwardly asking or embarrassing them? A few years ago, my nephew on the other side of the country sent me "Flat Stanley", a cut out drawing of a boy, who I was asked to take pictures of him with all my friends so that my nephew could write a story about the adventures of Flat Stanley in California. I got good pictures of friends and family who normally hate having their picture taken.

     
  • At 7/18/2006 2:58 PM, Blogger Tony Kevin said…

    Actually, I ended up giving the painting to Sarah G. I knew she had wanted it, but it wasn't until yesterday when I found out how badly she wanted it. So I gave it to her. She was very happy. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home