Gracegirl

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Wheatless in Seattle

Okay, so after watching my Mom find results by cutting wheat from her diet, I've decided I'm going to try it too. I don't know for how long (with my affection for all things carb-related, it probably won't last!), but I'm going to attempt this as long as I can. I picture it being maybe a month. :) We'll see.

Mom is down six pounds since she began. She started it because she thought she might have a sensitivity/allergy to wheat, but after a few days, told me that it also really kept her from snacking without thinking. I find this a very good selling feature for this "diet" so I'm starting too. I never knew how much I loved wheat until now. I used to think it was funny when people said bread was their big dietary vice, because I've always thought ice cream and all things sweet were my big thing. But I've found that this diet limits me greatly. Last night, we had chicken parmesan, and I couldn't eat the pasta or the toasty french bread. And tonight, we had fajitas. Mom and I had the goodies on top of brown rice instead of using lovely tortillas. I've been eating a massive amount of rice, in fact. We have lots of sticky rice made up when we have Japanese girls in the house, and I am taking advantage of that. It seems like each morning, breakfast includes rice. However, I just found out this morning that Cocoa Pebbles contain no wheat. Score! The other morning, though, I was in great distress when Mom made chocolate chip pancakes for the kids and forgot that I was on the diet. She began handing me a nice, warm, chocolatey pancake, and then said, "Oops! I'm so sorry! I'll see if Gary wants it." I went and got a bowl of rice and tried to enjoy the process.


But tonight I was reading about William Carey and his wife Dorothy. Apparently, they had some co-worker missionaries who didn't handle their finances too well and lived very well on money they didn't have. As the book says, though, "Unable to afford anything better, the Careys were forced to live in a marshy malarial area, where gangs of robbers roamed." Anyway, the excerpt that I found interesting relates to this diet:

"They were now eating curry and rice, day in and day out--a far cry from what those in the European quarter were enjoying, and probably a far cry from what the Thomases themselves were eating. Carey scribbled in his diary: 'My wife and sister too who do not see the importance of the mission as I do, are continuing exclaiming against me, and as for Mr. T., they think it very hard indeed that he should live in a city, in an affluent manner, and they be forced to go into a wilderness and live without many of what they call the necessaries of life, bread in particular.'"

6 Comments:

  • At 8/03/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger Leila said…

    Katie - I've done South Beach before, and I'm doing it now in preparation for gaining weight in Italy (preventative measures...so I can go on a diet again when I get back...). Cutting wheat works, but cutting any carbs really works. It's not ultimately healthy - I figure if you can eat a balanced diet with only whole grains, you're aokay. Let me know how it goes :). I'm a carb junkie - but I've been taken Curtis' advice - I'm telling my body no because it's not in control of me! :)

    Oh! And keep up Pilates, it really does help tone you up!

     
  • At 8/04/2006 9:57 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    I believe lovely corn totillas are fine. I may have a sesnsitivity/intolerance to wheat as well, so I have looked into, and tried, this diet.

     
  • At 8/11/2006 12:47 AM, Blogger Kate Alesso said…

    God's girl--

    I'm sorry to hear about your Tai Kwon Do. I do hope you recover quickly!

    Leila--

    I know a lot of people who really love the no-carb/low-carb diets, but I am actually a staunch naysayer of such diets. Kind of odd, considering what I'm doing, I must admit. But yeah, I'm eating plenty of carbs even though I'm not eating wheat. (Potatoes, rice, soon to incorporate quinoa!) Really, the only point is to mortify all the mindless snacking I find myself doing. It cuts out certain options, and makes me even think through whether I'm really hungry and whether there are healthier options. Even at the potluck on Sunday, I found plenty to eat. But once dessert time came along, I eagerly (albeit un-hungrily) headed to the dessert table. I found nothing that lacked wheat. So that saved me many calories. I'm really having fun seeing all the various situations I don't even think about, and being forced into self-control.

    JenM--

    Thanks for suggesting the corn tortillas! I hadn't even thought of them (seeing as they're not as favored as their flour counterparts), but that's a good idea. What have you thought of the diet? How has it affected you?

     
  • At 8/27/2006 10:40 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    To answer a question you asked months ago, I am the white girl in Marcella's photos. I'm not too keen on having my face there for everyone to see. I didn't answer earlier because I don't usually look at posts after they are kicked off the initial page.

    The diet, it is pretty easy for me, since I don't have celiac disease, just an intolerance-maybe-, but the stuff I normally eat-fruit smoothies, orange juice, milk, chocolate (I eat a lot of chocolate),eggs, cheese, plain yogurt and honey, are wheatless, anyway. And I eat wheat-free cereal and waffles from the health food store just to err on the side of caution. I only cook for myself now, on account of my illness, so my husband and I eat out every night. Many chain restaurants have a wheat-free menu (called gluten-free) that you can print off their websites; if not, just call or write and request one. I made a notebook of these menus to keep in the car. It is pretty similar to the Atkin's diet-just simple food prepared simply. Since that is just how I tend to eat anyway, I leave the notebook at home. I don't know that my diet's changed much, but my weight hasn't changed at all, nor my health.
    If I were to follow the diet strictly, it would be hard. I just thought I'd do the best I could, and hope for the best. I'd rather just live in the moment, and be happy and enjoy eating out with my friends without having to worry about the food I eat. The thing is, is that you have to decide for yourself. From experience, I've learned that misery loves company, and I've been on some wheat-free forums, and it seems the people there actually want you to be sick. For me, I just want to be able to go to Starbucks without having to ask a million questions first.
    Are you doing this in order to loose weight?

     
  • At 8/27/2006 10:50 PM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    My favorite wheat-free, one-pan meal: burrito guts. Basically, the stuff that goes in a burrito, but no tortilla to hold it together. Usually a can of diced tomatoes, a can of corn, can of kidney beans, maybe some ground beef, heated and put in a bowl, topped with olives, avocado, cheese, and sour cream. And don't forget the salsa!! You can use it as a dip with tortilla chips, too.

     
  • At 9/08/2006 7:04 PM, Blogger Kate Alesso said…

    Hey, JenM! Sorry I've taken so long in responding to your comments! Wow--I'm a flake!

    I know exactly what you mean about wanting to just be able to live life without worrying, "What is in this (beverage, meal, whatever)?". This is basically turning into a wheat-avoidance diet. Yeah, I am actually trying to lose some weight--although I'm not going to go overboard and get all anorexic! I love food too much. :)

    Thanks for the wheat free meal idea! Always good to have an idea, instead of spending too much time staring at the pantry.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home