Gracegirl

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

To Think That I Saw it On Mulberry Street!

Lately, we've spent a lot of time holding campaign signs, and have generally been received well. Lots of waves, honks and smiles. There have been a few, however, that have stood out above the rest.

First, there are the kissers. Yes, there are actually dudes who will blow kisses. Usually these types are oily 60 year old men or 21 year old guys with thinning sideways mohawks.


This next category consists of salesmen and perky cheerleaders. How do I know how to identify these people, you ask? Well, the friendliest men in business suits are usually salesmen, and the only remotely friendly high school girls out there are perky cheerleaders (not to be confused with drama queen cheerleaders--they're not friendly at all!). This is one of my favorite categories, simply because they are the most likely to make a hilarious face, scream, hang out the window, honk, and wave, all at once.

There was one dude whose horn made the "Ah-Woo-Gah" sound. We laughed pretty hard the first time we heard it, but what made us laugh harder was when he went around the other way just to honk again.

Then there was the teen guy in a jeep who honked, and then lifted up some microphone attached to outside speakers, (I kid you not!) and said "Hi!" Mom and I stared as he went by, numbly waving. A minute later, we turned to each other, trying to affirm that we'd really seen that.

One lady kept mouthing things that I couldn't quite lip-read. At one point, I thought she said either, "I want a cheese sandwich" or "Those are the guys to go with." Then one day we saw her at a sale and she said, "I've seen you waving signs! I just moved here and I already know someone!" I thought that was pretty funny, and asked her what she'd been saying all those times she'd passed us by. She said that it was, "Are you still out here?"

One guy leaned out his window, just as we were about to call it a day, and yelled, "Go Home!" That was pretty amusing.

Then there was the dog in the motorhome. Somebody had a Rottweiler on their lap, and as they approached, it leaned out the window. Well, I thought that was sweet, and started to say so. As it passed me, however, the Rottie let out a huge, "I'll-snap-your-head-off" bark. I'm not usually one to get scared, but for some reason, this made me yelp. I'm serious. It caught me so off guard, I could not move. After I finally got back to normal, I couldn't stop laughing. It was such a weird experience.

At one point, my friends Erik & Sarah drove by and got stuck in traffic near the spot we were standing. We had a fairly long conversation about The Amazing Race until they could go again. We've seen several people we know, which has been lots of fun. One lady from church likes to make faces at us. She's the only one who has (consciously) stuck her tongue out at us. All in good fun, of course...I hope.

3 Comments:

  • At 9/21/2006 12:10 PM, Blogger wagamama said…

    VERY cute. It's fun to read your blog...you're a bright young lady.

    Keep holding those signs proud :o) Try yelling back at some of those people and see what happens.

    I watched the Amazing Race...and Survivor where they seperate into racial groups (wierd!)

     
  • At 9/21/2006 5:34 PM, Blogger Leila said…

    Katie, I just love ya. You should do a speech on your experiences - I think it would be very funny and informative. I, too, am a major fan of the Amazing Race - my Dad saved it on good ol' T'vo - now I just have to find the time to watch it...

     
  • At 10/19/2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Kate Alesso said…

    Thanks for your kind comments, ladies! I'm sorry I'm such a flake about replying to them!

    Wagamama: Thanks--I really enjoyed that experience. It was such a fun, albeit odd, time. I haven't ever really gotten the Survivor bug, but I know lots of people who love it. Man, though. The Amazing Race is the bestest in the westest!

    Leila: You and Andy should get on the Race! You'd be the best team ever!

    I've actually been thinking about so many fun possible speeches. But I'm kind of limited in my various opportunities to speak, oddly enough, so I guess I'll just have to stick to blogging them. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home