Gracegirl

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hidden Riches

I just read an article on the topic of poverty for one of my Home Ec classes.

This astonished me:

In 1999, the UN Development Program estimated that the world's three wealthiest individuals had more assets than did the 600 million people who live in the poorest nations. Yet, a mere 4% of the wealth of the 225 richest individuals would be sufficient to provide elementary education, medical facilities, and adequate nutrition for people in poverty in the world (Held & McGrew, 2000).

I can't even wrap my mind around that.

I could say how our wealth in salvation and reluctance to witness to a spiritually starving and impoverished world reflect an even more ugly truth, but I won't. Wouldn't want to offend the rich or convict myself now, would I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home