Gracegirl

Monday, April 25, 2005

Purity and Modesty


Hi, everyone! I've actually been reading everybody's comments on other one28 blogs. Is that too weird? I know that may sound sound overboard, but what can I say? I'm really lovin' the blog thing, and it's really interesting and encouraging.

Anyway, orangelugster, what you said on Tony's blog really got me thinking about modesty. I want to let everybody know, guys and girls, that if you see someone--especially me--being immodest or impure, to go to that person and talk to them about it. I definitely want to know how to help brothers to stay pure, but sometimes I have no clue what triggers struggles in guys' minds. So just to let you know, don't hesitate to address those issues, even though it may seem a bit awkward. You never know how other girls would react. I would suspect--and hope--that they would be receptive and thankful for the heads up. I promise, here and now, to have a happy heart when/if confronted. :)

Mom says I need to wear a burka, but that I can have a breathing hole. Ha! The sarcasm. I hope it's sarcasm, anyway! :O/

3 Comments:

  • At 4/26/2005 5:45 PM, Blogger Tony Kevin said…

    Katie, seriously, way to go! I am so encouraged by your diligence in blogging and the whole purity thing. Don't worry, if I see imodesty on your part, I won't hesitate to tell on you.. er, tell you. Thanks for the encouragement Katie!

     
  • At 4/26/2005 5:58 PM, Blogger SKH said…

    Personally, I don't think that reading everybody's comments is weirder than taking pictures of people's feet! It's all what you're comfortable with I suppose.

    As for the more serious element of my comment, four things:

    First, guys should not make it their general practice to talk to girls about modesty issues. Though at times this may be the only option, accountability for modesty is best left within the gender.

    Second, the thing that "triggers" struggle in a guys mind ... is his own mind. James 1:14 - "But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire." Obviously there are some things that are more tempting than others, but a person can "struggle" in a secluded room all alone. I would also point you and your readers to Mark 7:15-23 for some additional explanation about the origin of impurities.

    Third, girls often talk about not "causing a brother to stumble" by what they wear. While this is a good desire, "causing someone to stumble" in Scripture almost always refers to offending a more legalistic person, not tempting that person to sin.

    Fourth, deciding what is inappropriate to wear based on what will help a brother stay pure is the wrong starting point (not to mention being virtually impossible to determine since brothers are different). Modesty in Scripture is not an issue between genders, it is an issue before God. Girls need not worry about what will cause a guy to struggle. Instead, they should be concerned with what God thinks is appropriate. His standard is always higher anyway!

    Hopefully that helps put the responsibility back on the guys to think pure no matter what the situation and to encourage the girls to prioritize vertical modesty before horizontal.

     
  • At 4/27/2005 3:23 PM, Blogger Tony Kevin said…

    Never mind. I won't tell on you... er, tell you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home