Gracegirl

Monday, April 11, 2005

More than Gold

It was interesting to read the other day in Psalm 19. I hear a lot of people talk about the beginning of that chapter, but I don't hear a lot of people expound so much on the end of it--vv. 7-14. Anyway, all of a sudden--even though I've read and heard this Psalm many times before--something popped out at me. And I just started writing, sort of a note or reminder to myself, on the importance of the Word of God. I'm posting my reminder, hoping it's helpful. I really hope this doesn't go under the category of preaching. If it does, let me know, and I'll unpost this blog entry, okay?

So I'll post the actual scripture, and below it I'll post what I've written. Sorry if this is a long post.

The Passage (Psalm 19: 7-14):
"(7) The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul;
The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
(8) The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
(9) The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether.
(10) They are more desirable than gold, yes than much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
(11) Moreover, by them Your servant is warned;
In keeping them there is great reward.
(12) Who can discern his errors? Acquit me of hidden faults.
(13) Also keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins;
Let them not rule over me;
Then I will be blameless,
And I will be acquitted of great transgression.
(14) Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.

My thoughts:
You want to be restored? To be wise? To be enlightened? To have reason to rejoice? Want something pure? Something perfect? Something sure, right, and clean? Something true, enduring forever? Do you wonder what in this world could be righteous?

HEED HIS WORD! It is sweeter than honey. More desirable than gold. King David knew that God's truth has a purifying power (vv. 11-14). God's Word is so vital to our Spiritual lives. How little I drink it in. It is so lovely and amazing. It's no wonder I get disgusted by the gross stuff I see and hear. No wonder I get dragged down, discouraged and exhausted. No wonder I'm impatient, selfish and sinful. Yet when I have my focus on things above and not on the earth, everything is much better with that view. Those aren't rose-colored glasses. They are vision-correcting glasses! These verses remind me a lot of some other verses that I bet you all are familiar with.

Philippians 4:8:
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

God's Word is so definitely worthy of "dwelling on."

2 Comments:

  • At 4/12/2005 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey Katie!
    It's so good to read your blogg!! I really appreciate how much time you spent on its preparation. May we both spend more and more time in his word and grow through it closer to our Lord and Father! Thanks for all your efforts!!
    Love ya! ;) maggie

     
  • At 5/02/2005 7:30 PM, Blogger orangelugster said…

    I am totally feeling you on this one Katie. I so often wonder why life looks so unfulfilling or unsatisfying because it is without Christ at the center. In those times of supposed hopelessness the Lord reveals Himself to me and reminds me to look at life with an eternal perspective and not from my earthly, self-indulging self. That is definitely where Scripture like this is amazingly comforting and gets my focus back where it should be. Thanks Katie. Keep it up.
    5/2/05

     

Post a Comment

<< Home