Gracegirl

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

patter...

The rain danced in the puddles as I enjoy doing when it visits. I looked out my window, seeing its impact by the light of the streetlamp. It gurgled and swirled down the drainpipe as I enjoyed it and began dozing off.

The beauty of water amazes me so often. Without it falling from the sky, I begin to dry out, nearly unconscious of the fact that I'm going through life just waiting to hear it on the roof again. Crashing waves transfix me. I remember running with my friends around the inside edge of their pool in the summer when I was a kid. It made the water all become one swirling mass that carried us when we stopped. I thought it was the most remarkable thing in the world.

I once read that life could not exist if water were not miraculously designed by God to expand when frozen. To think that I wouldn't be here, had it not been for some seemingly tiny detail, is beyond my comprehension. I love to consider that God has intricately designed all things to fit together beautifully. He is indeed wonderful Creator, but I also like to see Him as the Artist He is. Water is just one example of the fascinating world He designed. I often look at my hand as I look at it and am completely distracted. I use my hands all the time. But they hardly seem to show any sign of wear. I can't think of any manmade object like that, unchanged by constant use, and able to heal any change that does end up occuring.

I went to the eye doctor the other day and was taken in as she examined my eyes. I can't believe that my eyes are doing so well--it's certainly nothing of my doing. You know how it is, as a little kid, when your Mom says not to look at the sun, but the sunset turns your head back again. I can hardly resist a sunset. I seem to hang with people who love pictures, so I see no lack of camera flashes. I've always been the one to look into the sparkler on the Fourth of July and write my name with it. God has graciously sustained my eyesight. He knit me together in my Mother's womb, to last. He is indeed Creator and Sustainer, and I am thankful. What most captures you about His creation?

2 Comments:

  • At 1/17/2008 10:16 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said…

    Rain is awesome. It always reminds me of God's sovereignty. We can make detailed plans to go on an outdoor picnic, but if God sends rain, all your detailed plans are for naught-at least if you live in Southern California and are scared to go out in that unfamiliar water falling from the sky. What is it? Is it gasoline? Anti freeze?

     
  • At 1/26/2008 9:05 AM, Blogger NeverAlone said…

    Hey, Katie, my hands don't show signs of wear either...they've always been wrinkled and rough like this! Ha...
    Nice post. I love the rain too! Good thing, in the Northwest.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home