Gracegirl

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Thoughts from my little ledge...

I'm sure more could be said of this, and I may not say it exactly properly from a theological point of view, but tonight as I sit at the computer in my Red Robin uniform, I know I have to just say it, properly or otherwise. So...

I checked Tony's blog a little bit ago and read his post about God's glory. He wrote about (and Andrew Peterson sang about) how we have such a tiny vantage point from which to see God. And I really tried to contemplate that thought as much as I could post-work. I pictured a person on a ledge, trying to peek around the ledge and seeing something bigger than life itself. I then pictured Moses, naively, passionately asking the Lord to show him His glory. And God mercifully agreed to let him see His back, but Moses would not be able to see His face. (The passage can be found here.) Then I thought, we can't even remotely see that. We don't see the burning bush, or the pillar of fire by night and the cloud by day, or the leper being healed at Jesus' command. We don't see any of that. We do, however, see so many things that God mercifully allows. He lets us see His glory in a small way. But we see such a very tiny corner. And I thought about that. How do I think about that corner that I see? Very often, I think and live in such a way that would make it seem that God's glory is all limited to that corner. That's walking by sight and not by faith. That's putting God in a box. That's living with a little more joy than an unbeliever, with a Christian sticker on my lapel. God is so vast, beyond anything I can comprehend, but the little I may comprehend isn't impacting me as much as it should.

So much to change, such a little lifetime.

1 Comments:

  • At 3/09/2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Leila said…

    Katie - thanks for sharing. I want God to keep getting bigger, and me to keep getting smaller...but it sure is slow going!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home